Saturday 19 November 2016

white kites

this piece was inspired 
by my very first “zen experience” 
there have been a few since
rare - but yes real
all because
of this




w h i t e   k i t e s










 it was early spring 1984
unusually warm, but still that familiar
chill in the air


 my younger brother and i bought two kites 
and on a beautiful Saturday afternoon
 we trekked down to the Thames River near Woodstock - to fly them

Dave always had a way with these things 
as his kite went up effortlessly and in minutes
  he laid back on the grass 
lit up a smoke and watched it sail 
beautifully over the river

  i struggled with mine for at least an hour  
 it crashed several times in a plowed, muddy field
cursing, dirty - fucked - bullshit, oK ... 
here we go

 when i finally did manage to get it up
 (no pun intended)... it wasn’t positioned right
  it was over the field, not the river 
 i continued to struggle with it 
until i eventually lost my patience 
and tied the damned thing to a bush
 not caring if it crashed again






 

 
frustrated, i went for a walk 
along the rivers edge

when i turned to look 
a couple of minutes later 
i was shocked to see that my white kite was gliding beautifully

over the river




w h i t e   k i t e s




my life 
hasn’t been quite the same since




dedicated to my brother - David
and to my Uncle George Enz
Woodstock, Ontario















night parachuting

I’ve always been fascinated with the idea of weightlessness.  As a child I remember looking up at the sky and watching birds in flight, the stars at night, kids flying kites - soaring beautifully then falling/plunging down - around and around and down and crashing.  I was drawn to it - riveted by it.  To this day, I dream regularly of falling off of something high up.  Gravity.  Wow.  What's so cool, is having these simple HD video editing tools now.  I can bring this music to the surface and actually show you what I was 'envisioning' when I created it 25 years ago.  It's all about getting closer, to what it feels like - to fall.


Night Parachuting is a contemporary instrumental album dedicated to the art of flying.  In 1992, Night Parachuting was released and it is my most successful album to date.  Various tracks from the album were (still are) featured nightly on CHUM-FM, CHFI-FM in Toronto and on major market stations all across Canada and is my only album available on iTunes.  

























No comments:

Post a Comment